CategoryCommunity

UnDivided: Coming Back Together Again

U

The United States of America strikes me as somewhat of a misnomer these days. There have always been a variety of differences and points of divergence between portions of the population. Regional perspectives often caused a certain amount of variation in understanding and expectation. But, there did seem to exist a certain level of societal grace and cordiality that allowed us to foster a...

Gathering Together: The Joys of Online and In-Person Connection

G

I have a love/hate relationship with technology. Nothing makes me tense up more than feeling that all-too-familiar vibration in my pocket alerting me that someone is either calling or texting. That being said, digital communication tools have been essential to maintaining both personal and professional connection over the last eighteen months. Computers, cameras, cellphones, and the programs we...

Me vs. We: A Lesson from the Olympics

M

Would you rather be the star player on a bad team or an unknown contributor on a championship team? This is a question that was posed to me in my younger years, and one that continues to creep back into my head from time to time. Given that we are in the middle of the Olympic games, it makes sense that the question would come to mind, once again. As armchair athletes, it’s easy to say we’d be...

Walk With Her A While

W

There is a newly minted adult in the Myers house as of this week. According to the U.S. government, my little girl is now a grown adult. I realize that age is just a number and that nothing functionally changes in our lives due to the passing of this chronological signpost. It does, however, have meaning. It is important. And, if I’m being honest, this just hits a little different. Beyond gaining...

Flying with the Flock

F

Every winter, Seymour, Indiana goes to the birds in the very best of ways. Local wildlife authorities estimate that somewhere between 20,000 and 45,000 Sandhill Cranes call this region home. Sometime around late November or early December they begin showing up in the sky above and the fields around town. They are usually heard before they are seen, though. They aren’t exactly the quietest of...

Jumping Off Bridges: A Lesson on Peer Pressure

J

“If everyone else jumped off of a bridge, would you do it too?” This is the quintessential question asked when one has or is preparing to do something of questionable wisdom. I certainly remember being asked said query my fair share of times throughout my life. While I am well aware that the question is meant to be rhetorical with the assumed correct answer being a resounding “NO,” I often found...

Why Go To Church?

W

Some of my earliest memories come from when I was two or three years old living in California. I remember our brown apartment and the fat “woolly worms” that used to crawl on the sidewalk in front of it. I remember walking with my mother to a nearby library to get books about a dinosaur. And, I remember going to Sunday School and singing songs in “big church” at Calvary Baptist Church (They also...

Speaking the Truth in Love

S

I had quite the interesting experience before church began on a recent Sunday morning. As my daughter and I approached the doors, all of the lights were off and the doors were locked. This isn’t unusual as we currently don’t open our doors until 30 minutes before the service starts. As I fought with my keys in an attempt to unlock the door, it suddenly and extremely unexpectedly opened. Standing...

The Fight for Freedom Continues

T

The Fourth of July is one of my favorite holidays. Nothing compares to the warm glow of Christmas lights and all of the wonderful happenings that come with celebrating the coming of the Christ child. The amazing displays of aerial explosions celebrating the birth of these United States of America, however, sits in a distant, yet solid second place. As a follower of Jesus, I believe my first...

Bridging the Divide

B

At the point where the New River meets US 19, between Summersville and Fayetteville, West Virginia, there is an amazing feat of human engineering, The New River Gorge Bridge. If you have traveled through the Mountain State on US 19, you have crossed this bridge, and may have done so unknowingly. If you’ve ever been whitewater rafting on the New River, you most likely have seen this bridge...

Recent Posts

Recent Comments

Archives

Categories

Subscribe to Blog via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 46 other subscribers

Meta

Jeremy Myers

Jeremy Myers is the Lead Pastor of First Baptist Church of Seymour, Indiana, where he has served since 2017. He has over 20 years of ministry experience in the local church and not-for-profit work. He has a passion for helping emerging and existing generations learn to make space for each other and caring for the under-served and marginalized. In 2016, he earned his Doctor of Ministry degree from Palmer Theological Seminary, with his thesis focusing on helping youth and senior adults develop deeper relationships. He is a passionate and gifted communicator and is regularly invited to speak at retreats, camps, conferences, and other events. He lives in Seymour, Indiana with his wife Robyn, their two children, Mikayla and JJ, and their Golden Doodle, Evie.

Get in touch